Chicago-style pizza is a unique style of pizza that has become famous all around the world. It’s known for its deep dish crust, generous amounts of cheese, and hearty tomato sauce. But did you know that there are actually several different styles of Chicago-style pizza? Let’s take a closer look at each one.
- Deep Dish Pizza The most famous and iconic style of Chicago-style pizza is deep dish pizza. It’s made in a deep, round pan and features a thick, buttery crust that is piled high with toppings. The cheese and toppings are placed on top of the crust, followed by a layer of tomato sauce. This style of pizza is perfect for those who love a hearty, filling meal.
- Stuffed Pizza Stuffed pizza is another popular style of Chicago-style pizza. It’s similar to deep dish pizza, but with even more toppings and cheese. The toppings and cheese are sandwiched between two layers of crust, creating a pie-like pizza that is incredibly filling. Stuffed pizza is perfect for those who want a pizza with lots of toppings and cheese.
- Thin Crust Pizza While deep dish and stuffed pizza get most of the attention, thin crust pizza is also a popular style of Chicago-style pizza. Thin crust pizza features a crispy crust that is cooked to perfection. The toppings are placed on top of the crust, followed by a light layer of tomato sauce. This style of pizza is perfect for those who want a lighter, more delicate pizza.
- Pan Pizza Pan pizza is similar to deep dish pizza, but with a thicker crust. The crust is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, creating a unique texture that is loved by many. The toppings and cheese are placed on top of the crust, followed by a layer of tomato sauce. This style of pizza is perfect for those who want a thicker crust without the overwhelming amount of toppings found in stuffed pizza.
No matter which style of Chicago-style pizza you prefer, one thing is for sure: it’s a delicious and filling meal that is loved by pizza enthusiasts all around the world.
While deep dish pizza may be the most famous style of Chicago-style pizza, it’s important to note that there are several other delicious variations to try. Each style has its own unique flavor and texture, making it a great option for different tastes and preferences.
For those who want a classic, hearty pizza, deep dish or stuffed pizza is the way to go. These styles are perfect for a filling meal that will satisfy even the hungriest of appetites. If you prefer a lighter, crispier pizza, thin crust pizza or pan pizza might be more your style.
Chicago-style pizza is also known for its emphasis on quality ingredients. Many pizzerias in Chicago use only the freshest and highest quality ingredients, from the cheese to the tomatoes to the toppings. This dedication to quality is what sets Chicago-style pizza apart from other styles of pizza.
No matter which style of Chicago-style pizza you prefer, one thing is certain: it’s a delicious and unique style of pizza that is worth trying at least once. Whether you’re a Chicago native or just visiting the city, be sure to stop by one of the many pizzerias in town to try this iconic style of pizza for yourself.
Now that we’ve explored the different styles of Chicago-style pizza, let’s take a closer look at how to make an authentic Chicago-style pizza at home. While it may seem intimidating, with the right recipe and technique, it’s possible to create a delicious deep dish pizza right in your own kitchen.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, etc.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, yeast, and salt.
- Add the warm water and olive oil to the bowl, and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for several minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Grease a 12-inch deep dish pizza pan with butter.
- Roll out the dough and place it into the pan, pressing it up the sides.
- Layer the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the dough.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the cheese, spreading it evenly.
- Add your desired toppings on top of the tomato sauce.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
By following this recipe, you’ll be able to create a delicious and authentic Chicago-style pizza right in your own kitchen. With its thick, buttery crust, generous amounts of cheese and toppings, and hearty tomato sauce, it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends.